The past two dinners have been heavenly making and eating homemade hamburgers. I looked forward to it both evenings, and it marked as my motivation to check off the somewhat daunting tasks I assigned myself to do. “Burgers, burgers, burgers!” helped me out so much. haha
All ingredients were bought at Trader Joe’s, my favorite grocery store. Again, I acted as an assistant chef to Chef Jeff, who’s the master of making hamburgers now.
Ingredients (for four patties)
ground beef, 1 pound
bread crumbs, 1/3 cup
onion, 1/4 of a whole, minced
salt, 2 teaspoon
cheddar cheese, 4 slices
hamburger buns, 4 buns
1. preheat broiler.
2. in a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, onion, and salt. Don’t be afraid of using your hands!
3. divide what you get into four. Gently make patties and put a slight dent in the middle of each patty (like a doughnut but with a mid-way whole).
4. lace aluminum foil on a cookie sheet or baking pan, and on top of that, place your patties.
5. broil one side for 5 minutes. Turn over and broil the other side of 2 minutes.
6. prepare a hot pan. Once the broiler cooking is done, place the patties on the pan, then top each of them with cheddar cheese. Cover the pan and let the cheese melt. While doing this, toast the buns in the broiler or on a different frying pan.
7. carefully place your cheese patties on the toasted buns. Add additional toppings to your liking!
Topping suggestions and what we had:
the basic sliced tomato, lettuce, sliced onion
ketchup, mustard, mayo
Salad (ours was with ranch dressing)
Sweet potato fries (recipe here!)