Sorry, the post is so late. I went apple picking with my friends in Sherborn, MA in early October. It was my first time going apple picking after residing in New England for the past three years. Different types of apple trees were planted, and I was surprised how I couldn’t really distinguish one type from another… how foodie-like…? I realized that I have a lot more to learn.
With apple picking came overload of apples in our house. So we made variety of apple dishes, which I’d like to introduce you to now:
Apple pancake! Simply put in pancake mixture together with thinly sliced apples, and added a touch of cinnamon in the batter.
Apple jam. Stewed down the apple in a pot over low heat with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a hint of salt. Great with yogurt or as a spread on toast or crackers!
Apple cake made with a rice cooker! Rice cooker can do everything, did you guys know that? You can even refer to these brownies I made with my friend, Megan, when we lived in China without an oven.
Recipe for rice cooker Apple Cake:
Apples, as much as you want, sliced
Whole wheat flour, 1 cup
Brown sugar, 1/3 cup
Eggs, 2 medium, beaten
Baking powder, 1 teaspoon
Milk, 30 ml
Cinnamon, as much as you like
1. Peel the apples and slice it very thin
2. Combine sugar, eggs, and milk in a large bowl.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in #2
4. Neatly layer the apples on the bottom of the rice cooker so you’re making something like a flower. Then, put in the mixture into the rice cooker.
5. Cook about 30 minutes in normal rice cooker setting. DONE! (check with a toothpick to see if nothing sticks when you pull out the toothpick).