Bread – something I had started eliminating (and switching to rice). I do though, find these delicious looking bread on Instagram and wanted to try making bread myself. The only other time I baked bread was for the Easter buns. Maybe it is this time of year when winter is slowly ending and reaching blooming spring that I tend to have this adventurous feeling towards making bread.
This time, I wanted to make it grainy. It was an easy choice for me to select this pack of 16 grains for this occasion. This has barley, sticky black soy beans, various types of millet, corn, soy bean, azuki beans, red and brown rice, oats, red and white sesame, quinoa… Usually people pick this up to mix with white rice.
I based my recipe off this on AllRecipes.com.
16 grains, 1 cup
Buckwheat flour, 1 cup
Baking powder, 2 teaspoons
Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
Honey, 1.5 tablespoon
Egg, 1 medium
1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees celcius
2. Mix together 16 grain mix, buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt (dry ingredients)
3. In a separate bowl, put together honey and beat egg. Mix well.
4. Combine #3 into #2. Form a dough and place in baking loaf pan that is lined with baking sheet.
5. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden!
Mine turned a bit dry and hard after cooled. Prior to eating, I microwaved it with a bit of water sprinkled to get rid of the dryness.
What I loved about this is the more I chewed, the more flavor I got of the grains. I would want to add some spice next time to add some flavor!